Cooling Water Treatment
OPTICORR is a superior scale inhibitor because it prevents the formation of these large crystals.
· General purpose scale inhibitor/dispersant - effective on a variety of foulants and scale formers (calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, calcium sulfate and silt).
· Superior calcium carbonate inhibition performs in high alkalinity/hardness and high total dissolved solids systems.
· “Smart Polymer” - used in high hardness waters that have side stream softening allowing hardness removal in the softener.
· Maximum Silica dispercancy and Magnesium Silicate scale inhibition (OPTICORR 750)
OPTICORR with polymers technologies inhibit scale buildup on surfaces through at least three mechanisms:
· Solubility enhancement or threshold effect, which reduces precipitation of lowsolubility inorganic salts.
· Crystal modification, which deforms the growing inorganic salt crystal to give small, irregular, readily fractured crystals that
do not adhere well to surfaces.
· Dispersing activity, which prevents precipitated crystals or other inorganic particulates from agglomerating and depositing
Chemical treatment of cooling water systems has undergone significant changes over the past 30 to 40 years. Driven by higher population densities and the need to conserve limited fresh water supplies, process water users strive constantly to maximize water reuse and minimize generation of waste streams. One way to achieve these objectives, of course, is to increase cooling water cycles.
One problem with this approach, however, is that naturally occurring salts normally dissolved in fresh water – especially salts with relatively low solubilities such as calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, calcium sulfate and silica/silicates, for example – become increasingly concentrated as water evaporates during each recirculation cycle. When this occurs, these soon reach their maximum levels of solubility and can begin to settle out as scale on equipment surfaces, fouling the cooling systems and decreasing their efficiency. To prevent this, Harvest Chemical Solutions have developed ways to keep such salts in solution at concentrations well beyond their normal solubility levels, allowing process water to be recirculated at higher cycles than could normally be achieved without fouling.
Technologies for control of calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate and calcium sulfate have, in fact, become well established.
Harvest Chemical Solutions, in fact offers a polymer technology called OPTICORR that makes possible simultaneous control of both calcium carbonate and calcium phosphate at the higher pH levels at which modern cooling systems are normally operated to prevent corrosion.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
OPTICORR series polymer inhibits scale buildup on surfaces through at least three mechanisms:
· Solubility enhancement or threshold effect, which reduces precipitation of low solubility inorganic salts.
· Crystal modification, which deforms the growing inorganic salt crystals to give small, irregular, readily fractured crystals that
do not adhere well to surfaces.
· Dispersing activity, which prevents precipitated crystals or other inorganic particles from agglomerating and depositing on
In addition to the above mechanisms which are common to many types of inhib-tors and dispersants, OPTICORR functions by a unique crystal growth mechanism. In the presence of OPTICORR, calcium salt crystals grow to uniform intermediate sizes and do not form large crystals. These crystals do not strongly adhere to surfaces and are readily removed by flowing water.
Other inhibitors allow the formation of non-uniformly sized crystals. The small crystals in this distribution redissolve and incorporate on large crystals. This process, called Ostwalds ripening, causes large crystals to grow at the expense of small crystals due to the difference in their surface to volume ratio. The largest crystals are often found on equipment surfaces, and ordinary inhibitors can accelerate their growth.
Non Oxidizing Agent
Biocides is a program used to effectively control microbial program (Slime, Microbiologically Induced corrosion, Algae) by repressing micro growth.
Applications : Water Treatment, Oilfield, Seawater, Pulp & Paper, Textiles, Paint, and their applications.